[This post was written by my fellow pastor Bob Mundorff]
John 15:7-11 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
Step 1: Be a Christian.
- “Abide in me…” If you trust in Jesus as Lord and Savior, you are “in Christ.”
Step 2: Read God’s Word.
- “If you… and my words abide in you…” Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God, so take in more Bible than food.
Step 3: Pray answered prayers.
- “If you… (do steps 1 and 2), ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” If God’s words abide in you, you’ll pray them. And he’ll answer them.
Step 4: Prove your faith by bearing much fruit.
- “If you… bear much fruit and so prove…” Fruitful work for Christ brings both glory to God and assurance of salvation.
Step 5: Abide in Jesus’ love.
- “If you… Abide in my love…” How? See step 6.
Step 6: Keep Jesus’ Commandments.
- “If you keep my commandments…” This fulfills step 5. Jesus said that we abide in his love by keeping his commands. A very necessary final ingredient in the recipe for joy.
Result – Guaranteed Joy.