1. mocker--scorner. Such men are made by wine.
strong drink--made by spicing wine (compare Isaiah 5:11 Isaiah 5:22 ); and it may include wine.
raging--or boisterous as a drunkard.
deceived--literally, "erring," or reeling.
3. to cease from strife--or, better, "to dwell from or without strife," denoting the habit of life.
fool . . . meddling--( Proverbs 17:14 ).
4. shall . . . beg--literally, "ask" (in this sense, Psalms 109:10 ).
6. Boasters are unreliable.
goodness--or, "kind disposition."
11. The conduct of children even is the best test of principle (compare Matthew 7:16 ).
12. Hence, of course, God will know all you do ( Psalms 94:9 ).
14. when . . . his way--implying that he goes about boasting of his bargains.
15. The contrast denotes the greater value of knowledge (compare Proverbs 3:14-16 ).
16. Take his garment--implies severe exaction, justified by the surety's rashness.
a strange woman--by some readings "strangers," but the former here, and in Proverbs 27:13 , is allowable, and strengthens the sense. The debauchee is less reliable than the merely careless.
17. Bread . . . sweet--either as unlawfully ( Proverbs 9:17 ) or easily obtained.
mouth . . . gravel--well expresses the pain and grief given at last.
18. (Compare Proverbs 15:22 ). Be careful and considerate in important plans.
19. Those who love to tell news will hardly keep secrets.
flattereth . . . lips--(compare Margin; Proverbs 1:10 ).
meddle . . . him--literally, "join," or "associate with."
24. Man's goings--literally, "Stately steppings of a strong man."
a man--any common man.
25. devoureth . . . holy--or, better, "who rashly speaks promises," or "devotes what is holy," consecrating any thing. This suits better the last clause, which expresses a similar view of the results of rashly vowing.
29. The glory of young men . . . the beauty of old men--Each age has its peculiar excellence ( Proverbs 16:31 ).
30. blueness--literally, "joining," the process of uniting the edges of a wound throws off purulent matter.
stripes . . . belly--So punishment provides healing of soul ( Proverbs 18:8 ), by deterring from evil courses.