Book Introduction - 2 Kings
Read first chapter of 2 Kings
This book continues the history of the kingdoms to the captivities. It includes the translation of Elijah and the ministry of Elisha. During this period Amos and Hosea prophesied in Israel, and Obadiah, Joel, Isaiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, and Jeremiah in Judah.
Second Kings is in seven parts:
- The last ministry and translation of Elijah, 1:1-2:11.
- The ministry of Elisha from the translation of Elijah to the anointing of Jehu, 2:12-9:10.
- The reign of Jehu over Israel, 9:11-10:36.
- The reigns of Athaliah and Jehoash over Judah, 11:1-12:21.
- The reigns of Jehoahaz and Joash over Israel, and the last ministry of Elisha, 13:1-25.
- From the death of Elisha to the captivity of Israel, 14:1-17:41.
- From the accession of Hezekiah to the captivity of Judah, 18:1-25:30.
The events recorded in Second Kings cover a period of 308 years. (Ussher)