25:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
25:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering.
the Lord spoke unto Moses
The general authority for the types of Exodus is found:
(1) as to the persons and events, in 1 Corinthians 10:1-11 .
(2) as to the tabernacle, in Hebrews 9:1-24 . Having the assurance that in the tabernacle everything is typical, the details must of necessity be received as such. Two warnings are necessary:
(1) Nothing may be dogmatically asserted to be a type without explicit New Testament authority; and
(2) all types not so authenticated must be recognized as having the authority of analogy, or spiritual congruity, merely. The typical meanings of the materials and colours of the tabernacle are believed to be as follows: Gold, Deity in manifestation--divine glory; silver, redemption Exodus 30:12-16 . (See Scofield "Exodus 38:27") , brass, symbol of judgment, as in the brazen altar and in the serpent of brass Numbers 21:6-9 blue, heavenly in nature or origin; purple, royalty; scarlet, sacrifice.
25:5 And rams' skins dyed red, and badgers' skins, and shittim wood,
(See Scofield "2 Corinthians 8:1") .
25:9 According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.
25:10 And they shall make an ark of shittim wood: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
The tabernacle, speaking comprehensively, is explained in the N.T. as typical in three ways:
(2) of the believer 2 Corinthians 6:16
(1) The ark, in its materials, acacia-wood (See Scofield "Exodus 26:15") and gold, is a type of the humanity and deity of Christ.
(2) In its contents, a type of Christ, as:
(3) In its use the ark, especially the mercy-seat, was a type of God's throne. That it was, to the sinning Israelite, a throne of grace and not of judgment was due to the mercy-seat formed of gold and sprinkled with the blood of atonement, which vindicated the law, and divine holiness guarded by the cherubim Genesis 3:24
25:17 And thou shalt make a mercy seat of pure gold: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof.
make an ark
All begins with the ark, which, in the completed tabernacle, was placed in the holy of holies, because, in revelation, God begins from Himself, working outward toward man; as, in approach, the worshipper begins from himself, moving toward God in the holy of holies. The same order is followed in the Levitical offerings (Le 1.-5.). In approach man begins at the brazen altar, type of the Cross, where, in the fire of judgment, atonement is made.
make an ark The most inclusive type of Christ, Gold = Deity; wood = humanity. History:
Numbers 3:31 ; 10:33 ; Joshua 3:3-15 ; 6:11 ; Judges 20:27 ; 1 Samuel 3:3 ; 4:1-11 ; 5:1-10 ; 6:1-21 ; 1 Samuel 7:1 1 Samuel 7:2 ; 2 Samuel 6:2-17 ; 7:2 ; 15:24-29 ; 1 Kings 8:1-21 not carried to Babylon, ; 2 Kings 24:13 ; 2 Chronicles 35:3, not mentioned in Ezra or Neh. Where is it? Revelation 11:19
shittim wood i.e. acacia.
25:23 Thou shalt also make a table of shittim wood: two cubits shall be the length thereof, and a cubit the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
See "Propitiation." (See Scofield "Romans 3:25") .
25:28 And thou shalt make the staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold, that the table may be borne with them.
25:30 And thou shalt set upon the table shewbread before me alway.
25:31 And thou shalt make a candlestick of pure gold: of beaten work shall the candlestick be made: his shaft, and his branches, his bowls, his knops, and his flowers, shall be of the same.
Showbread, type of Christ, the Bread of God, nourisher of the Christian's life as a believer-priest 1 Peter 2:9 ; Revelation 1:6 . In John 6:33-58 our Lord has more in mind the manna, that food which "came down"; but all typical meanings of "bread" are there gathered into His words. The manna is the life-giving Christ; the showbread, the life-sustaining Christ. The showbread typifies Christ as the "corn of wheat" John 12:24 ground in the mill of suffering John 12:27 and brought into the fire of judgment John 12:31-33 . We, as priests, by faith feed upon Him as having undergone that in our stead and for our sakes. It is meditation upon Christ, as in Hebrews 12:2 Hebrews 12:3 .
Candlestick, type of Christ our Light, shining in the fullness of the power of the sevenfold Spirit Isaiah 11:2 ; Hebrews 1:9 ; Revelation 1:4 . Natural light was excluded from the tabernacle. (Cf) 1 Corinthians 2:14 1 Corinthians 2:15 .