WRITER: The fourth Gospel was written by the Apostle John John 21:24 . This has been questioned on critical grounds, but on the same grounds and with equal scholarship, the early date and Johanean authorship have been maintained.
DATE: The date of John's Gospel falls between A.D. 85 and 90. Probably the latter.
THEME: This is indicated both in the Prologue ( 1:1-14 ), and in the last verse of the Gospel proper ( 20:31 ), and is: The incarnation of the eternal Word, and Son of life; (2) that as many as believe on Him as "the Christ, the Son of God" ( 20:31 ) may have eternal life. The prominent words are, "believed" and "life."
The book is in seven natural divisions:
- Prologue: The eternal Word incarnate in Jesus the Christ, 1:1-14.
- The witness of John the Baptist, 1:15-34.
- The public ministry of Christ, 1:35-12:50.
- The private ministry of Christ to His own, 13:1-17:26.
- The sacrifice of Christ, 18:1-19:42.
- The manifestation of Christ in resurrection, 20:1-31.
- Epilogue: Christ the Master of life and service, 21:1-25.
The events recorded in this book cover a period of 7 years.