Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
1 Samuel 1:11 (King James Version)
And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.
- Genesis 28:20 ; Numbers 21:2 ; 30:3-8 Judges 11:30 ; Ecclesiastes 5:4
- Genesis 29:32 ; Exodus 4:31 ; 2 Samuel 16:12 ; Psalms 25:18
- 19 ; Genesis 8:1 ; 30:22 Psalms 132:1 Psalms 132:2
- a man child
- Hebrew seed of men. I will give.
- Samuel, as a descendent of Levi, was the Lord's property, from twenty-five years of age till fifty; but the vow here implies that he should be consecrated to the Lord from his infancy to his death, and that he should not only act as a Levite, but as a Nazarite.
- Numbers 6:5 ; Judges 13:5