|Overview - 1 Samuel 14|
|1||Jonathan goes and miraculously smites the Philistine's garrison.|
|15||A divine terror makes them beat themselves.|
|17||Saul, not staying the priest's answer, sets on them.|
|21||The captivated Hebrews, and the hidden Israelites, join against them.|
|24||Saul's unadvised adjuration hinders the victory.|
|31||He restrains the people from eating blood.|
|35||He builds an altar.|
|37||Jonathan, taken by lot, is save by the people.|
|47||Saul's victories, strength, and family.|
1 Samuel 14:15 (King James Version)
And there was trembling in the host, in the field, and among all the people: the garrison, and the spoilers, they also trembled, and the earth quaked: so it was a very great trembling.
- there was trembling
- Joshua 2:9 ; Judges 7:21 ; 2 Kings 7:6 2 Kings 7:7 ; Job 18:11 ; Psalms 14:5
- the spoilers
- 1 Samuel 13:17 1 Samuel 13:23
- the earth quaked
- Exodus 19:18 ; Matthew 24:6 ; Matthew 27:50 Matthew 27:51
- very great trembling
- Hebrew trembling of God.
- Genesis 35:5 ; Leviticus 26:36 Leviticus 26:37 ; 2 Samuel 5:24 ; Daniel 5:6
- God will in some way or other direct the steps of those who acknowledge him in all their ways, and seek unto him for direction with full purpose of heart. Sometimes we find most comfort in that which is least our own doing, and into which we have been led by the unexpected, but well observed, turns of Providence.