|Overview - 1 Samuel 21|
|1||David at Nob obtains of Ahimelech hallowed bread.|
|7||Doeg is present.|
|8||David takes Goliath's sword.|
|10||David at Gath feigns himself mad.|
1 Samuel 21:10 (King James Version)
And David arose, and fled that day for fear of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath.
- 27:1 1 Kings 19:3 ; Jeremiah 26:21
- or, Abimelech.
- 27:2 Psalms 34:1 ; *title
- Jerome says there was a large town called Gath, in the way from Eleutheropolis to Gaza; and Eusebius speaks of another Gath, five miles from Eleutheropolis, towards Lydda, (and consequently different from that mentioned by Jerome;) and also of another Gath, between Jamnia and Antipatris. It appears to have been the extreme boundary of the Philistine territory in one direction, as Ekron was on the other, (ch. 7:14 ; 17:52, ) and lay near Mareshah, (2 Ch 11:8 Micah 1:14, ,)
- which agrees pretty well with the position assigned it by Jerome But Reland and Dr. Wells agree with Eusebius; and the authors of the Uersal History (b
- i. c. 7) place it about six miles form Jamnia, fourteen south of Joppa, and thirty-two west of Jerusalem.