|Overview - 1 Samuel 4|
|1||The Israelites are overcome by the Philistines at Ebenezer.|
|3||They fetch the ark unto the terror of the Philistines.|
|10||They are smitten again, the ark taken, and Hophni and Phinehas are slain.|
|12||Eli at the news, falling backward, breaks his neck.|
|19||Phinehas's wife, discouraged in her travail with I-chabod, dies.|
1 Samuel 4:1 (King James Version)
And the word of Samuel came to all Israel. Now Israel went out against the Philistines to battle, and pitched beside Ebenezer: and the Philistines pitched in Aphek.
- M. 2863. B.C. 1141. An. Ex. Is. 350. came. or, came to
- Hebrew was.
- That is, the place afterwards so called: See the Parallel Texts. 5:1 7:12
- This Aphek was situated in the tribe of Judah, and is probably the same as Aphekah.
- Joshua 15:53
- It must be carefully distinguished from that near Jezreel, and another in Asher.
- 29:1 Joshua 19:30 ; 1 Kings 20:30