Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - 2 Samuel 24|
| 1 ||David, tempted by Satan, forces Joab to number the people. |
| 5 ||The captains, in nine months and twenty days, bring the muster of thirteen hundred thousand fighting men. |
|10 ||David repents, and having three plagues propounded by God, chooses the three days' pestilence. |
|15 ||After the death of three score and ten thousand, David by prayer prevents the destruction of Jerusalem. |
|18 ||David, by God's direction, purchases Araunah's threshing floor; where having sacrificed, the plague stays. |
2 Samuel 24:1 (King James Version)
And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.
- M. 2987. B.C. 1017. An. Ex. Is. 474. again.
- This verse, when read without reference to any other part of the word of God, is very difficult to understand, and has been used by those who desire to undermine the justice of God, to shew that he sought occasion to punish--that he incited David to sin; and when he had so incited him, gave to him the dreadful alternative of choosing one of three scourges by which his people were to be cut off. On the face of the passage these thoughts naturally arise, because "the Lord" is the antecedent to the pronoun "he,"--He moved David. But to those who "search the Scriptures," this exceedingly difficult passage receives a wonderful elucidation, By referring to 1 ; Ch 21:1 the reader will there find that Satan was the mover, and that the Lord most righteously punished David for the display of pride he had manifested. Oh! that Christians, who sometimes have their minds harassed with doubts, would remember the promise, that what they know not now they shall know hereafter; and if no other instance of elucidation than this passage occurred to them to remove their doubts, let this be a means of stirring them up to dig deeper than ever into the inexhaustible mines of the Inspired Word.
- James 1:13 James 1:14
- 12:11 16:10 Genesis 45:5 ; 50:20 Exodus 7:3 ; 1 Samuel 26:19 ; 1 Kings 22:20-23
- Ezekiel 14:9 ; 20:25 Acts 4:28 ; 2 Thessalonians 2:11
- Go, number
- 1 Chronicles 27:23 1 Chronicles 27:24