Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - Acts 19|
| 1 ||The Holy Ghost is given by Paul's hands. |
| 8 ||The Jews blaspheme his doctrine, which is confirmed by miracles. |
|13 ||The Jewish exorcists, |
|16 ||are beaten by the devil. |
|19 ||Conjuring books are burnt. |
|21 ||Demetrius, for love of gain, raises an uproar against Paul; |
|35 ||which is appeased by the townclerk. |
Acts 19:19 (King James Version)
Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.
- 8:9-11 Acts 13:6 Acts 13:8 Exodus 7:11 Exodus 7:22 ; Deuteronomy 18:10-12 ; 1 Samuel 28:7-9 ; 1 Chronicles 10:13
- 2 Chronicles 33:6 ; Isaiah 8:19 ; Isaiah 47:12 Isaiah 47:13 Daniel 2:2
- [Periergos ,] curious, that is, magical arts, in which sense the word is used in the Greek writers. The study of magic was prosecuted with such zeal at Ephesus, that [Ephesios gramma ,] the Ephesian letters, certain charms, or words used in incantation, became much celebrated in antiquity.
- and burned
- Genesis 35:4 ; Exodus 32:20 ; Deuteronomy 7:25 Deuteronomy 7:26 ; Isaiah 2:20 Isaiah 2:21 ; 30:22 Matthew 5:29 Matthew 5:30
- Luke 14:33 ; Hebrews 10:34
- Probably Attic drachms; which at 7
- d. each, would amount to 1,562
- 10s. or at, 9d. each, to 1,875.