Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - Deuteronomy 5|
| 1 ||The covenant in Horeb. |
| 6 ||The ten commandments. |
|23 ||At the people's request Moses receives the law from God. |
Deuteronomy 5:26 (King James Version)
For who is there of all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?
- who is
- It seems to have been a general opinion, that if God appeared to men, it was for the purpose of destroying them. And indeed most of the extraordinary manifestations of God were in the way of judgment; but here it was widely different. God did appear in a sovereign and extraordinary manner; but it was for the instruction, direction, deliverance, and support of his people
- 1. They heard this voice speaking with them in a distinct, articulate manner
- 2. They saw the fire, the symbol of his presence, the appearances of which demonstrated it to be supernatural
- 3. Notwithstanding God appeared so terrible, yet no person was destroyed; for he came not to destroy but to save.
- all flesh
- Genesis 6:12 ; Isaiah 40:6 ; Romans 3:20
- Joshua 3:10 ; Psalms 42:2 ; 84:2 Jeremiah 10:10 ; Daniel 6:26 ; Matthew 26:63 ; Acts 14:15
- 2 Corinthians 6:16 ; 1 Thessalonians 1:9