|Overview - Jeremiah 51|
|1||The severe judgment of God against Babylon, in revenge of Israel.|
|59||Jeremiah delivers the book of this prophecy to Seraiah, to be cast into Euphrates, in token of the perpetual sinking of Babylon.|
Jeremiah 51:58 (King James Version)
Thus saith the LORD of hosts; The broad walls of Babylon shall be utterly broken, and her high gates shall be burned with fire; and the people shall labour in vain, and the folk in the fire, and they shall be weary.
- The broad walls of Babylon
- or, The walls of broad Babylon.
- According to the testimony of Herodotus, the circumference of the walls of Babylon was 480 stadia, or 60 miles, their breadth 50 cubits, and their height 200 cubits; but when Darius became master of the place, B
- C. 516, he took away all their 100 gates of brass, and beat down their walls to 50 cubits; and now not a vestige of these immense fortifications remains, to mark the site of this once mighty city!
- 44 ; 50:15
- or, made naked. high gates.
- 30 ; Isaiah 45:1 Isaiah 45:2
- the people
- Jeremiah 51:9 Jeremiah 51:64 ; Psalms 127:1 ; Isaiah 65:23 ; Habakkuk 2:13