|Overview - Jeremiah 52|
|4||Jerusalem is besieged and taken.|
|8||Zedekiah's sons killed, and his own eyes put out.|
|12||Nebuzar-adan burns and spoils the city.|
|24||He carries away the captives.|
|28||The number of Jews carried captive.|
|31||Evil-merodach advances Jehoiachin.|
Jeremiah 52:12 (King James Version)
Now in the fifth month, in the tenth day of the month, which was the nineteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, came Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, which served the king of Babylon, into Jerusalem,
- 2 Kings 25:8 ; Zechariah 7:3-5 ; 8:19
- the tenth
- It appears from the parallel passage of Kings, that Nebuzar-adan came from Riblah to Jerusalem on the seventh of the fifth month; but it seems that he did not set fire to the temple and city till the tenth day, being probably occupied on the intervening days in taking the vessels out of the house of the Lord, and collecting together all the riches that could be found. In memory of this calamity, the Jews devote two fasts to this day; the seventeenth of the fourth month, which falls in June, for the destruction of Jerusalem, and the ninth of the fifth month, which falls in July, for the destruction of the temple; both of which are mentioned by Zechariah as kept from this event till his time, a period of seventy years, under the names of the fast of the fourth month, and fast of the fifth month.
- the nineteenth
- 29 ; 2 Kings 24:12 ; 25:8
- captain of the guard
- or, chief marshal. Hebrew chief of the
- executioners, or slaughtermen, and so.
- 14 ; 39:9 Genesis 37:36 ; *margins
- Hebrew stood before.