|Overview - Judges 11|
|1||The covenant between Jephthah and the Gileadites, that he should be their head.|
|12||The treaty of peace between him and the Ammonites is in vain.|
|32||His conquest of the Ammonites.|
|34||He performs his vow on his daughter.|
Judges 11:11 (King James Version)
Then Jephthah went with the elders of Gilead, and the people made him head and captain over them: and Jephthah uttered all his words before the LORD in Mizpeh.
- 1 Samuel 23:9-12 ; 1 Kings 3:7-9 ; 2 Corinthians 3:5 ; James 1:5 James 1:17
- Jephthah uttered
- That is, upon his elevation, he immediately retired to his devotion, and in prayer spread the whole matter before God, both his choice to the office, and his execution of the office, as one that had his eye ever toward the Lord, and would do nothing without him; that leaned not to his own understanding or courage, but depended on the Almighty God, and his favour. This is an ensample worthy of uersal imitation; in All Our Ways, whether great or apparently subordinate, let us acknowledge God and seek his direction. So shall we make our way prosperous, and obtain that peace which passeth all understanding. Jephthah opened his campaign with prayer.
- 10:17 20:1 1 Samuel 10:17 ; 11:15
- This Mizpeh was east of Jordan in the mountains of Gilead ( Genesis 31:49 );and hence called Mizpeh of Gilead (ver. 29), to
- distinguish it from another place of the same name, west of Jordan, in the tribe of Judah. Joshua 15:38