Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - Leviticus 18|
| 1 ||Unlawful marriages, and unlawful lusts. |
Leviticus 18:21 (King James Version)
And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.
- pass through
- Molech signifies a king, or governor, of similar import with Bal, lord, or governor; and it is generally supposed that the sun was worshipped under this name; and more particularly as the fire appears to have been so much employed in his worship. It seems clear that children were not only consecrated to him by passing through the fire, which appears to be alluded to here, but that they were actually made a burnt offering to him
- (See the parallel passages.) That the several abominations afterwards mentioned were actually practised by many heathen nations is abundantly attested by their own writers.
- 20:2 Deuteronomy 12:31 ; 18:10 2 Kings 16:3 ; 21:6 23:10 Psalms 106:37 Psalms 106:38 ; Jeremiah 7:31
- Jeremiah 19:5 ; Ezekiel 20:31 ; 23:37
- to Molech
- 1 Kings 11:7 1 Kings 11:33 ; Amos 5:26 ; Acts 7:43
- 19:12 20:2-5 21:6 Leviticus 22:2 Leviticus 22:32 Ezekiel 36:20-23 ; Malachi 1:12 ; Romans 1:23 ; 2:24