|Overview - Nehemiah 13|
|1||Upon the reading of the law, separation is made from the mixed multitude.|
|4||Nehemiah, at his return, causes the chambers to be cleansed.|
|10||He reforms the offices in the house of God;|
|15||the violation of the sabbath;|
|23||and the marriages with the strange wives.|
Nehemiah 13:1 (King James Version)
On that day they read in the book of Moses in the audience of the people; and therein was found written, that the Ammonite and the Moabite should not come into the congregation of God for ever;
- that day
- Some suppose that the events recorded in these verses took place several years after those related in the preceding chapter, while Nehemiah was absent at the Persian court; but the introductory language, on that day, seems rather to imply that they occurred immediately, or at least about that time.
- they read
- Hebrew there was read.
- 8:3-8 9:3 Deuteronomy 31:11 Deuteronomy 31:12 ; 2 Kings 23:2 ; Isaiah 34:16 ; Luke 4:16-19 ; 10:26
- Acts 13:15 ; 15:21
- Hebrew ears. the Ammonite.
- 23 ; Deuteronomy 23:3-5 ; Isaiah 15:1-16:14 ; Jeremiah 48:1-47 ; Ezekiel 25:1-11 ; Amos 2:1-3
- Nehemiah 2:10 Nehemiah 2:19 4:3 Psalms 83:7-9 ; Jeremiah 49:1-6 ; Amos 1:13-15