|Overview - Numbers 11|
|1||The burning at Taberah quenched by Moses' prayer.|
|4||The people lust for flesh, and loathe manna.|
|10||Moses complains of his charge.|
|16||God promises to divide his burden unto seventy elders, and to give the people flesh for a month.|
|21||Moses' faith is staggered.|
|31||Quails are given in wrath at Kibroth-hattaavah.|
Numbers 11:25 (King James Version)
And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
- came down
- 17 ; 12:5 Exodus 34:5 ; 40:38 Psalms 99:7 ; Luke 9:34 Luke 9:35
- 17 ; 2 Kings 2:15 ; James 1:17
- gave it
- From this place, Origen and Theodoret take occasion to compare Moses to a lamp, at which seventy others were lighted, without any diminution of its lustre.
- they prophesied
- By prophesying here we are to understand, their performing those civil and sacred functions for which they were qualified; exhorting the people to quiet and peaceable submission, and to trust and confidence in the providence of God.
- 1 Samuel 10:5 1 Samuel 10:6 1 Samuel 10:10 ; 19:20-24 Jeremiah 36:5 Jeremiah 36:6 ; Joel 2:28 Joel 2:29 ; Acts 2:17 Acts 2:18
- Acts 11:28 ; 21:9-11 1 Corinthians 11:4 1 Corinthians 11:5 ; 1 Corinthians 14:1-3 1 Corinthians 14:32 2 Peter 1:21