A town in Galilee, on the west side of the sea of Tiberias, in the "land of Gennesaret." It was the native place of Peter, Andrew, and Philip, and was frequently resorted to by Jesus ( Mark 6:45 ; John 1:44 ; 12:21 ). It is supposed to have been at the modern 'Ain Tabighah, a bay to the north of Gennesaret.
A city near which Christ fed 5,000 ( Luke 9:10 ; Compare John 6:17 ; Matthew 14:15-21 ), and where the blind man had his sight restored ( Mark 8:22 ), on the east side of the lake, two miles up the Jordan. It stood within the region of Gaulonitis, and was enlarged by Philip the tetrarch, who called it "Julias," after the emperor's daughter. Or, as some have supposed, there may have been but one Bethsaida built on both sides of the lake, near where the Jordan enters it. Now the ruins et-Tel.
These dictionary topics are from M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition, published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible [H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names [S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary Bibliography InformationEaston, Matthew George. "Entry for Bethsaida". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .