Shimei [N] [E] [H]
- Son of Gershon the son of Levi, ( Numbers 3:18 ; 1 Chronicles 6:17 1 Chronicles 6:29 ; 1 Chronicles 23:7 1 Chronicles 23:9 1 Chronicles 23:10 ; Zechariah 12:13 ) called SHIMI in ( Exodus 6:17 ) (B.C. after 1706.)
- Shimei the son of Gera, a Benjamite of the house of Saul, who lived at Bahurim. (B.C. 1023.) When David and his suite were seen descending the long defile, on his flight from Absolom, ( 2 Samuel 16:5-13 ) the whole feeling of the clan of Benjamin burst forth without restraint in the person of Shimei. He ran along the ridge, cursing and throwing stones at the king and is companions. The next meeting was very different. The king was now returning from his successful campaign. Just as he was crossing the Jordan, ( 2 Samuel 19:18 ) the first person to welcome him was Shimei who threw himself at Davids feet in abject penitence. But the kings suspicions were not set at rest by this submission; and on his death-bed he recalls the whole scene to the recollection of his son Solomon. Solomon gave Shimei notice that from henceforth he must consider himself confined to the walls of Jerusalem, on pain of death. ( 1 Kings 3:36 1 Kings 3:37 ) For three years the engagement was kept. At the end of that time for the purpose of capturing two slaves who had escaped to Gath, he went out on his ass, and made his journey successfully. Ibid. ( 1 Kings 2:40 ) On his return the king took him at his word, and he was slain by Benaiah. Ibid. ( 1 Kings 2:41-46 )
- One of the adherents of Solomon at the time of Adonjahs usurpation. ( 1 Kings 1:8 ) (B.C.1015.)
- Solomons commissariat officer in Benjamin. ( 1 Kings 4:18 )
- Son of Pedaiah, and brother of Zerubbabel. ( 1 Chronicles 3:19 ) (B.C. 536.)
- A Simeonite, son of Zacchur. ( 1 Chronicles 4:26 1 Chronicles 4:27 )
- Son of Gog, a Reubenite. ( 1 Chronicles 5:4 )
- A Gershonite Levite, son of Jahath. ( 1 Chronicles 6:42 )
- Son of Jeduthun, and chief of the tenth division of the singers. ( 1 Chronicles 25:17 )
- The Ramathite who was over Davids vineyards. ( 1 Chronicles 27:27 )
- A Levite of the sons of Heman, who took part in the purification of the temple under Zedekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 29:14 ) (B.C. 726.)
- The brother of Cononiah the Levite, in the reign of Hezekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 31:12 2 Chronicles 31:13 ) Perhaps the same as the preceding.
- A Levite in the time of Ezra who had married a foreign wife. ( Ezra 10:23 )
- One of the family of Hashum, who put away his foreign wife at Ezras command. ( Ezra 10:33 )
- A son of Bani, who had also married a foreign wife, and put her away. ( Ezra 10:38 ) (B.C. 459.)
- Son of Kish, a Benjamite, and ancestor of Mordecai. ( Esther 2:5 ) (B.C. before 479).
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Shimei'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.