whom Jehovah helps.
he that hears the Lord
(whom the Lord helps ) a common name in Hebrew, and especially in the families of the priests of the line of Eleazar, whose name has precisely the same meaning as Azariah. It is nearly identical, and is often confounded, with Ezra as well as with Zerahiah and Seraiah. The principal persons who bore this name were--
az-a-ri'-a `azaryahu and `azaryah, ("Yahweh has helped"):
(1) King of Judah. See UZZIAH.
(2) A Judahite of the house of Ethan the Wise (1 Chronicles 2:8).
(3) The son of Jehu, descended from an Egyptian through the daughter of Sheshan (1 Chronicles 2:38).
(4) A son of Ahimaaz and grandson of Zadok (1 Chronicles 6:9).
(5) A son of Zadok the high priest and an official of Solomon (1 Kings 4:2).
(6) A high priest and son of Johanan (1 Chronicles 6:10).
(7) A Levite, ancestor of Samuel, and Heman the singer (1 Chronicles 6:36).
(8) A son of Nathan and captain of Solomon's tax collectors (1 Kings 4:5).
(9) A prophet in the reign of King Asa; his father's name was Oded (2 Chronicles 15:1-8).
(10 and 11) Two sons of Jehoshaphat, king of Judah (2 Chronicles 21:2).
(13) A son of Jeroham, who helped to overthrow Athaliah, and place Joash on the throne (2 Chronicles 23:1).
(14) A son of Johanan and a leading man of Ephraim, mentioned in connection with the emancipated captives taken by Pekah (2 Chronicles 28:12).
(15) A Levite of the family of Merari, who took part in cleansing the temple in the days of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:12).
(16) A high priest who rebuked King Uzziah for arrogating to himself priestly functions (2 Chronicles 26:16-20).
(17) The father of Seraiah and son of Hilkiah (1 Chronicles 6:13f).
(18) A son of Hoshaiah, and a bitter enemy of Jeremiah (Jeremiah 43:2ff).
(19) One of the royal captives taken to Babylon, whose name was changed to Abed-nego (Daniel 1:7).
(20) The son of Maaseiah, who helped repair the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:23f).
(21) A Levite who assisted Ezra to expound the Law (Nehemiah 8:7).
(22) A priest who sealed the covenant (Nehemiah 10:2).
(23) A prince of Judah mentioned in connection with the dedication of the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 12:32f).
W. W. Davies
These files are public domain.