a harp, one of the "fenced cities" of Naphtali ( Joshua 19:35 ; Compare Deuteronomy 3:17 ). It also denotes, apparently, a district which may have taken its name from the adjacent city or lake of Gennesaret, anciently called "the sea of Chinnereth" (q.v.), and was probably that enclosed district north of Tiberias afterwards called "the plain of Gennesaret." Called Chinneroth (RSV, Chinnereth) Joshua 11:2 . The phrase "all Cinneroth, with all the land of Naphtali" in 1 Kings 15:20 is parallel to "the store-houses of the cities of Naphtali" (RSV marg.) in 2 Chronicles 16:4 .
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
Bibliography InformationEaston, Matthew George. "Entry for Cinnereth". "Easton's Bible Dictionary".