God the zealous; the zeal of God
Elkanah, or Elkonah
el-ka'-na ('elqanah, "God has possessed"):
(1) An Ephraimite, the father of Samuel (1 Samuel 1:1-28; 2:11-20). Of his two wives, Hannah, the childless, was best beloved. At Shiloh she received through Eli the promise of a son. Elkanah, with Hannah, took the young Samuel to Shiloh when he was weaned, and left him with EIi as their offering to Yahweh. They were blessed with three other sons and two daughters.
(3) One "next to the king" in Jerusalem in the time of Ahaz; slain by one Zichri of Ephraim in war with Pekah (2 Chronicles 28:7).
(4) One of the Korahites among David's "mighty men" (1 Chronicles 12:1,6).
(5) A Levite, possibly the same as (2) above (1 Chronicles 6:23,15,36).
(6) Another Levite of the same line (1 Chronicles 6:26,35).
(7) Another Levite, ancestor of Berechiah (1 Chronicles 9:16).
(8) Another Levite (if not the same as (4) above), one of the "doorkeepers for the ark" (1 Chronicles 15:23).
F. K. Farr
These files are public domain.