Try out the new BibleStudyTools.com. Click here!

Geba

Geba [N] [H] [S]

the hill, ( 2 Samuel 5:25 [ 1 Chronicles 14:16 , "Gibeon"]; 2 Kings 23:8 ; Nehemiah 11:31 ), a Levitical city of Benjamin ( 1 Kings 15:22 ; 1 Samuel 13:16 ; 14:5 , wrongly "Gibeah" in the A.V.), on the north border of Judah near Gibeah ( Isaiah 10:29 ; Joshua 18:24 Joshua 18:28 ). "From Geba to Beersheba" expressed the whole extent of the kingdom of Judah, just as "from Dan to Beersheba" described the whole length of Palestine ( 2 Kings 23:8 ). It has been identified with Gaba ( Joshua 18:24 ; Ezra 2:26 ; Nehemiah 7:30 ), now Jeb'a, about 5 1/2 miles north of Jerusalem.

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary

Bibliography Information

Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Geba". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .

Geba [N] [E] [S]

a hill; cup
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names. Public Domain. Copy freely.

[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary

Bibliography Information

Hitchcock, Roswell D. "Entry for 'Geba'". "An Interpreting Dictionary of Scripture Proper Names". . New York, N.Y., 1869.

Geba [N] [E] [H]

(a hill ), a city of Benjamin, with "suburbs," allotted to the priests. ( Joshua 21:17 ; 1 Chronicles 6:60 ) It is named amongst the first group of the Benjamite towns --apparently those lying near to and along the north boundary. ( Joshua 18:24 ) Here the name is given as GABA. During the wars of the earlier part of the reign of Saul, Geba was held as a garrison by the Philistines, ( 1 Samuel 13:3 ) but they were ejected by Jonathan. It is now the modern village of Jeba , which stands picturesquely on the top of its steep terraced hill, six miles north of Jerusalem, on the very edge of the great Wady Suweinit , looking northward to the opposite village of ancient Michmash, which also retains its old name of Mukhmas .


[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names

Bibliography Information

Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Geba'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.

GEBA

ge'-ba (gebha`, "hill"):

(1) A town on the Northeast boundary of the territory of Benjamin (Joshua 18:24), given to the Levites (Joshua 21:17; 1 Chronicles 6:60). It stood on the northern frontier of the kingdom of Judah, Geba and Beersheba marking respectively the northern and southern limits (2 Kings 23:8). In 2 Samuel 5:25 "Geba" should be altered to "Gibeon," which stands in the corresponding passage, 1 Chronicles 14:16. In Judges 20:10,33; 1 Samuel 13:3,16, the Hebrew reads "Geba," the translation "Gibeah" being due to confusion of the two names. From 1 Samuel 14:5 we gather that Geba stood to the South of the great gorge, Wady Suweinit, commanding the pass at Michmash. This was the scene of Jonathan's daring enterprise against the Philistines, when, accompanied by his armor-bearer, he accomplished an apparently impossible feat, climbing the rocky steeps of the gorge to the North and putting the enemy to flight. There can be no doubt that the modern village of Jeba` occupies the ancient site. It stands to the South of Wady Suweinit, looking toward Michmash--modern Mukhmas--with Seneh, the crag on the southern lip of the gorge, in front of it. The distance from Jerusalem is about 6 miles. It was fortified by Asa with materials that his enemy Baasha had used to fortify Ramah against him (1 Kings 15:22). It is named by Isaiah in his description of the terrifying march of the Assyrians upon Jerusalem from the North (10:28). It appears among the cities which were reoccupied by Israel after the Exile (Ezra 2:26; Nehemiah 11:31).

(2) (Gaibai):

Between a fortress so named and Scythopolis (Beisan), Holofernes pitched his camp (Judith 3:10). On the high road that runs through Jenin, and down the Vale of Jezreel to Beisan, about 2 miles to the South of Sanur, stands the village of Jeba`, with which this fortress may be identified.

W. Ewing


Copyright Statement
These files are public domain.

Bibliography Information
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Entry for 'GEBA'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". 1915.