Try out the new BibleStudyTools.com. Click here!

Gederah

Gederah [N] [S]

the fortress; a fortified place, a town in the plain (shephelah) of Judah ( Joshua 15:36 ). This is a very common Canaanite and Phoenician name. It is the feminine form of Geder ( 12:13 ); the plural form is Gederoth ( 15:41 ). This place has by some been identified with Jedireh, a ruin 9 miles from Lydda, toward Eleutheropolis, and 4 miles north of Sur'ah (Zorah), in the valley of Elah.

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary

Bibliography Information

Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Gederah". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .

Gederah [N] [E]

(a sheepfold ), a town of Judah in the lowland country, ( Joshua 15:36 ) apparently in its eastern part. No town bearing this name has, however, been yet discovered in this hitherto little-explored district.


[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary

Bibliography Information

Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Gederah'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.