( Acts 27:8 ) a city of Crete, the ruins of which were discovered in 1856, a few miles to the eastward of Fair Havens.
A town on the South coast of Crete, 5 miles East of Fair Havens (Acts 27:8). The ruins were examined in 1856 by G. Brown (see Code of Hammurabi (St. P), chapter xxiii, 640). If Paul's ship was detained long at this anchorage, it would be necessary to purchase stores from Lasea; and this in addition to the inconvenience of the roadstead (see FAIR HAVENS) would probably explain the captain's reluctance to winter there.
These files are public domain.