The word is used in various senses:
(1) of material things, e.g. Psalms 104:30; here it means to give a new appearance, to refresh, to restore the face of the earth;
(2) in 1 Samuel 11:14, to establish more firmly the kingdom by reinstalling King Saul;
(3) in 2 Chronicles 15:8, to rebuild or repair the broken altar;
(4) in Lamentations 5:21, "renew our days," restore the favors of former days;
(5) in Isaiah 41:1, `let them gather together, or marshal their strongest arguments for answer';
G. H. Gerberding
These files are public domain.