Try out the new BibleStudyTools.com. Click here!

Sele-ucia

Sele-ucia, or Sele-ucia

(named after its founder, Seleucus), near the mouth of the Orontes, was practically the seaport of Antioch. The distance between the two towns was about 16 miles. St. Paul, with Barnabas, sailed from Seleucia at the beginning of his first missionary circuit. ( Acts 13:4 ) This strong fortress and convenient seaport was constructed by the first Seleucus, and here he was buried. It retained its importance in Roman times and in St. Pauls day it had the privileges of a free city. The remains are numerous.


Bibliography Information

Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Seleucia, or Seleucia'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.