Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi the Prophets. Haggai and Zechariah, the prophets, flourished after the return from Babylon, and Malachi, probably a little later. The chief design of Haggai seems to have been to stir up the people to the completion of the temple ( Ezra 5:1 ; Haggai 1:1-2:23 ).
Zechariah was associated with Haggai on the work of reformation ( Ezra 5:1 ). He predicted
- the betrayal of Lord ( Zechariah 11:10-14 ; Matthew 27:3-10 ),
- and the proclamation of the gospel from Jerusalem ( Zechariah 14:1-9 ).
Malachi was a true reformer. He predicted
- the bringing in of the Gentiles ( Malachi 1:11 ),
- the coming of the forerunner of Christ ( Malachi 3:1 ; Malachi 4:5 );
- and the coming of Christ himself ( Malachi 3:1-4 ).