Zareth-shahar

Zareth-shahar [N]

the splendour of the dawn, a city "in the mount of the valley" ( Joshua 13:19 ). It is identified with the ruins of Zara, near the mouth of the Wady Zerka Main, on the eastern shore of the Dead Sea, some 3 miles south of the Callirrhoe. Of this town but little remains. "A few broken basaltic columns and pieces of wall about 200 yards back from the shore, and a ruined fort rather nearer the sea, about the middle of the coast line of the plain, are all that are left" (Tristram's Land of Moab).

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible

Bibliography Information

Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Zareth-shahar". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .

Zareth-shahar

(splendor of the dawn ), a place mentioned only in ( Joshua 13:19 ) in the catalogue of the towns allotted to Reuben.


Bibliography Information

Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Zarethshahar'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.