Try out the new BibleStudyTools.com. Click here!

Geliloth

GELILOTH

ge-li'-loth (geliloth):

This word is used for "districts" or "circuits" perhaps indicating the different parts subject to the several lords of the Philistines (Joshua 13:2, the King James Version "borders," the Revised Version (British and American) "regions"); for the quarter of the Jordan valley where the eastern tribes built the altar of Ed (Joshua 22:10; the King James Version "border of," the Revised Version (British and American) "region about," Jordan); and apparently, for the whole of Philistia (Joel 3:4, the King James Version "coasts of Palestine," the Revised Version (British and American) "regions of Philistia"). But in Joshua 18:17, it is clearly used as a place-name. Geliloth lay on the boundary between Judah and Benjamin which passed En-shemesh (probably `Ain el-Chod, about 2 miles East of Jerusalem), "and went out to Geliloth, which is over against the ascent of Adummim." From this point it "went down" toward the plain. The place cannot therefore be identified with Gilgal in the Jordan valley. Some point on the road leading from Jericho to Tal`at ed-Dumm, about 6 miles from Jerusalem, was probably intended, but no identification is possible.

W. Ewing


Copyright Statement
These files are public domain.

Bibliography Information
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Entry for 'GELILOTH'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". 1915.