We are currently undergoing maintenance, all user specific funtions will be disabled for a short time. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon
Greek lexicon based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary plus others; this is keyed to the large Kittel and the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament." These files are public domain.
| Strong's Number: 4395|| Browse Lexicon |
|Original Word||Word Origin|
|Transliterated Word||TDNT Entry|
|Phonetic Spelling||Parts of Speech|
|prof-ate-yoo'-o ||Verb |
- to prophesy, to be a prophet, speak forth by divine inspirations, to predict
- to prophesy
- with the idea of foretelling future events pertaining esp. to the kingdom of God
- to utter forth, declare, a thing which can only be known by divine revelation
- to break forth under sudden impulse in lofty discourse or praise of the divine counsels
- under like prompting, to teach, refute, reprove, admonish, comfort others
- to act as a prophet, discharge the prophetic office
| NAS Word Usage - Total: 28|
|prophesied 5, prophesies 3, prophesy 16, prophesying 3, prophetesses 1|
Bibliography InformationThayer and Smith. "Greek Lexicon entry for Propheteuo". "The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon". . 1999.