2 (For the one directing. To the Deer of the Dawn. Mizmor Dovid.) Eli, Eli, lamah azavtani? [See Mt 27:46 OJBC] Why art Thou so far from my yeshuah, and from the words of my groaning?
(3) Elohai, I cry yomam, but Thou hearest not; and v’lailah, and am not silent.
(4) But Atah Kadosh, O Thou enthroned on the tehillot Yisroel.
(5) Avoteinu trusted in Thee; they had bitachon, and Thou didst deliver them.
(6) They cried unto Thee, and were delivered; they had bitachon in Thee, and were not disappointed.
(7) But I am a tola’at, and no ish; a reproach of men, and despised of the people [see Yeshayah 53:3 on the despised Moshiach].
(8) All they that see me mock me; they shoot out the lip, they shake the rosh, saying,
(9) He trusted in Hashem; let Hashem rescue him; let Him deliver him, since He delights in him.
(11) I was cast upon Thee from the womb; Thou art Eli from the womb of immi.
(12) Be not far from me; for tzoros is near; and there is none to help.
(13) Parim rabbim (many bulls) have encompassed me; strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round about.
(14) They opened wide their mouths upon me, like an aryeh roaring and tearing prey.
(15) I am poured out like mayim, and all my atzmot are out of joint; my lev is like wax; it is melted away within me.
(16) My ko’ach is dried up like baked clay; and my leshon cleaveth to my jaws; and Thou layest me in the aphar mavet (dust of death).
(17) For kelavim have surrounded me; the Adat Mere’im (congregation of evil men) have enclosed me; ka’aru yadai v’ragelai (they pierced my hands and my feet; see Isa 53:5; Zech 12:10 and medieval Hebrew Scripture manuscripts as well as the Targum HaShivim).
(18) I can count all my atzmot; the people stare and gloat at me.
(19) They divide up my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast goral (lots) [Mt 27:35; Lk 23:34; Yn 19:24].
(20) But be not Thou far from me, Hashem; O my strength, hasten Thee to help me.
(21) Deliver my nefesh from the cherev, my yechid (only one, only [nefesh]) from the power of the kelev (dog).
(22) Hoshieini from the mouth of the aryeh; for Thou hast heard me from the karnayim of the wild bulls.
(23) I will declare Thy Shem unto my Achim; in the midst of the Kahal will I praise Thee.
(24) Ye that fear Hashem, praise Him; all ye Zera Ya’akov, give Him kavod; and fear Him, all ye Zera Yisroel.
(25) For He hath not despised nor disdained the enut ani (affliction of the afflicted); neither hath He hid His face from him; but when he cried unto Him, He heard.
(26) My tehillah shall be from Thee in the Kahal Rav; I will fulfill my nedar before them that fear Him.
(27) The anavim (meek) shall eat and be satisfied; they that seek Him shall praise Hashem. Let your levav live forever!
(28) All the ends of HaAretz shall remember and turn unto Hashem; and all the mishpechot of the Goyim shall bow down in worship before Thee.
(29) For the Meluchah is Hashem’s: and He is the Moshel over the Goyim.
(30) All they that thrive upon HaAretz shall eat and worship; all they that go down to the aphar (dust) shall bow before Him; even he who cannot keep alive his own nefesh.
(31) Zera shall serve Him; it shall be told to the generation [to come] concerning Adonoi.
(32) They shall come, and shall declare His tzedek unto an Am Nolad (a [future] people that shall be born), that He hath done this.