If I could describe the best life there could be, a life of peace, serenity, security, and joy - it would be the Word Filled Life! No matter who you are, what your past, no matter where you are in life, no matter what age you are today - God describes for you HIS PLAN.
The Lord of Heaven and Earth has much to say about what He has designed for each of us. He has the optimal operating range for us to live within. He has created us and loaded us with all the options that He knows we need to operate and fulfill His plans.
As believers, God says Love, Glorify, and Obey Him.
As men, husbands, and dads God says Lead, Model, and Love.
As women, wives, and moms God says Follow, Model, and Love.
As young men, brothers and sons God says Obey, Honor, and Love.
As young women, sisters and daughters God says Obey, Honor, and Love.
And where do we find the details on how to do all those things? Of course - in God's Word!
Every year I always like to remind myself why I need to start through God's Word anew and afresh. We are now half way through this year and I'd like to share those reminders I gave myself this year - with you.
1. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our online downloads. Why go through life without freshness? Every time we prayerfully open God's Word it is like going online and downloading fresh, new, personal messages from the God of Heaven Himself. How encouraging it is to hear from God. Did you hear from Him lately? You can as often as you want to download a message from Him. Just open your heart prayerfully before the Word of God and like a wireless device - your soul will start getting downloads from Heaven. There is nothing as boring as old emails when you want fresh, new updates from someone you love. So read the Word each day prayerfully - because it is like an online download. Matthew 4:4: "But He answered and said, 'It is written, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."'"
2. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our battery charged. As we go through life we expend our strength in the battle of just plain old life. When we stop in the Word it quickens us, giving us life and power through the Spirit of God. Why go through life with a dead spiritual battery? Why miss the calls that come from the Lord? Why miss the sharing you can have with the One closest of all to us - read the Word because it is like a battery charger. John 6:63: "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life."
3. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our Hope. Romans 15:4: "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."
4. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our hot showers. Life is dirty and gritty, life is hot and sweaty. Before the day starts and after the day ends are two great times to take showers for those who want to stay fresh and clean. Is it any less so for the believer? Jesus reminded the disciples when He washed their feet - that we get our feet dirty as we walk through life. It is the Word that washes us so that we can come to the Table of Fellowship with God cleansed. Ephesians 5:26: "...that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word." 1 Peter 1:22: "Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart."
5. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our Weapons to Win. Ephesians 6:16-17: "...above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
6. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our Exercise. Hebrews 5:14: "But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."
7. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our Security. James 1:21: "Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you." (NIV)
8. The Word Filled Life is the way we get our Growth. 1 Peter 2:2: "...as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby."
9. The Word Filled Life is the way we get to taste of God's Goodness. 1 Peter 2:2-3: "...as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious."
I have found that in my life all the above challenges are distilled down into one verse of God's Word.
You will show me the path of life; [Lead Me]
In Your presence is fullness of joy; [Fill Me]
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. [Keep Me]
- Lead Me: If you will listen to the Lord speak to you through the Word you can rest in His arrangements for your life."You will show me the path of lif
- Fill Me: If you will listen to the Lord speak to you through the Word you can enjoy His companionship through life. "In Your presence is fullness of joy;"
- Keep Me: If you will listen to the Lord speak to you through the Word you can rest in His authority over your life. "At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore"
How can we start cultivating a Word Filled Life? Where do we start? The Word Filled Life starts by reading God's Word! The Scriptures are the voice of God, we must listen. It is amazing that a Christian can imagine that he or she can live a Christian life without regularly reading the Bible, for that is impossible! Our minds are such that we do not retain what we need to know. They need to be refreshed again and again. Some who have been believers for years have never read the Bible through once. There are truths God has for us that we have not inconvenienced ourselves enough to discover. No wonder we are empty. What a difference reading the Word can make in our lives.
Since it only takes 80 hours to read the entire Bible, this program General Harrison began obligated him to just ½ hour of reading God's Word for each of the days of his life. Let me ask you, do any of us have half an hour to give away each day to cultivate the mind of Christ like General Harrison? How about 14 minutes to read God's Word in a year? How about 3 minutes a day for the New Testament in a year?
Read Bible - 80 Hours, 4800 Minutes, @ Day 13
Old Testament - 77%, 62 Hours, 3695 Minutes, @ Day 10
New Testament - 23%, 18 Hours, 1104 Minutes, @ Day 3
- In an average Bible - that is 3 pages each day.
- In a One Year Bible - that is what I have our children work on, it is three pages and they get an Old Testament passage, a New Testament passage, a Psalm, and a Proverb each day.
- On CD or tape you just need to listen 13 minutes each day in the car or wherever you go.
- On your computer or digital device you can get MP3s of God's Word for free and listen anywhere - as you work, as you travel, as you rest.
- Remember 13 minutes a day makes once a year, half an hour makes twice a year...
Remember this: we can never have a Word Filled Life without reading the Scriptures regularly because you cannot be deeply influenced by that which you do not know. When we are filled with God's Word, our life can then be informed and directed by God - our domestic relationships, our child-rearing, our career, our decisions, our interior walk with God. The only way to a Word Filled Life is time in God's Word!
Let me ask you today to inventory your promises, commitments, or decisions that you have (or perhaps haven't) made for the Lord in the past - and renew them!
Born again believers - will you say today to the Lord: Lead Me, Fill Me, Keep Me? Right where you are, if you are born again and know the Lord, whisper to Him from your soul to your Creator, ask HIM - Lead Me, Fill Me, Keep Me!
Now how do we do that? Simply stated from God's Word choose to have a Word Filled Life. Today. . .
- All of us who are saints, born again believers - will you chose to have a Word Filled Life the rest of the year each day by reading, listening, praying, and obeying Him?
- Men, husbands, and dads - will you Lead those God has given you toward the Lord by seeking a Word Filled Life for the sake of your wife, children, and family?
- Women, wives, and moms - will you Follow the Lord by seeking a Word Filled Life for the sake of your husband, children, and family?
- Children, sons, and daughters - will you Obey and HONOR your parents by seeking a Word Filled Life for the sake of your own personal growth?
This article was excerpted from Dr. John Barnett's book, Discipline Yourself For Godliness. For more resources, visit http://www.DiscoverTheBook.org.