Isaiah 12:1-6 . THANKSGIVING HYMN OF THE RESTORED AND CONVERTED JEWS.
2. Lord JEHOVAH--Jah, Jehovah. The repetition of the name denotes emphasis, and the unchangeableness of God's character.
strength . . . song . . . salvation--derived from Exodus 15:2 , Psalms 118:14 . The idea of salvation was peculiarly associated with the feast of tabernacles (see Isaiah 12:3 ). Hence the cry "Hosanna," "Save, we beseech thee," that accompanied Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem on that day (the fifteenth of the seventh month) ( Matthew 21:9 ; compare with Psalms 118:25 Psalms 118:26 ); the earnest of the perfected "salvation" which He shall bring to His people at His glorious second appearance at Jerusalem ( Hebrews 9:28 ). "He shall appear the second time without sin unto salvation." Compare Revelation 21:3 , "The tabernacle of God is with men." Compare Luke 9:33 , "three tabernacles: one for thee," &c. (the transfiguration being a pledge of the future kingdom), ( Psalms 118:15 , Zechariah 14:16 ). As the Jew was reminded by the feast of tabernacles of his wanderings in tents in the wilderness, so the Jew-Gentile Church to come shall call to mind, with thanksgiving, the various past ways whereby God has at last brought them to the heavenly "city of habitation" ( Psalms 107:7 ).
3. draw water . . . salvation--an expressive image in a hot country. On the last day of the feast of tabernacles the Jews used to bring water in a golden pitcher from the fountain of Siloam, and pour it, mingled with wine, on the sacrifice on the altar, with great rejoicing. This is the allusion in Jesus' words on "the last day of the feast" ( John 7:2 John 7:37-39 ). The pouring out of water indicated repentance ( 1 Samuel 7:6 ; compare, as to the Jews' repentance hereafter, Zechariah 12:10 ). There shall be a latter outpouring of the Spirit like the former one on pentecost ( Joel 2:23 ).
wells--not mere streams, which may run dry, but ever-flowing fountains ( John 4:14 , 7:38 ), "Out of his belly (that is, in and from himself)--living water" ( Isaiah 42:18 , Psalms 84:6 , Zechariah 13:1 , Revelation 7:17 ).
4. make mention--Hebrew, "cause it to be remembered."
5. Sing, &c.--alluding to Exodus 15:21 .
6. inhabitant of Zion--Hebrew, "inhabitress"; so "daughter of Zion," that is, Zion and its people.
in the midst of thee--of Jerusalem literally ( Jeremiah 3:17 , Ezekiel 48:35 , Zephaniah 3:15 Zephaniah 3:17 , Zechariah 2:10 ).