9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
9:8 And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,
and said unto them
The Noahic Covenant. The elements are:
(1) The relation of man to the earth under the Adamic Covenant is confirmed (See Scofield "Genesis 8:21")
(2) The order of nature is confirmed ( Genesis 8:22 )
(3) Human government is established ( Genesis 9:1-6 )
(6) A prophetic declaration is made that Shem will have a peculiar relation to Jehovah Genesis 9:26 Genesis 9:27 . All divine revelation is through Semitic men, and Christ, after the flesh, descends from Shem.
(7) A prophetic declaration is made that from Japheth will descend the "enlarged" races Genesis 9:27 . Government, science, and art, speaking broadly, are and have been Japhetic, so that history is the indisputable record of the exact fulfilment of these declarations. (See Scofield "Genesis 8:21") for the other seven covenants:
9:13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
The bow is not said to have come into existence at this time, but only to have been here invested with the character of a sign, CF. Exodus 31:13 . Typically, the bow, seen upon the storm clouds of judgment Genesis 7:11 has been thought to speak of the cross where judgment, never to be repeated has been visted upon the believer's sins. ; Galatians 3:10-14 ; Hebrews 10:14-18 .
See note subdiv. 5-7, (See Scofield "Genesis 9:1") .