|Overview - 1 Chronicles 2|
|1||The sons of Israel.|
|3||The posterity of Judah by Tamar.|
|13||The children of Jesse.|
|18||The posterity of Caleb the son of Hezron.|
|21||Hezron's posterity by the daughter of Machir.|
|42||Another branch of Caleb's posterity.|
|50||The posterity of Caleb the son of Hur.|
1 Chronicles 2:42 (King James Version)
Now the sons of Caleb the brother of Jerahmeel were, Mesha his firstborn, which was the father of Ziph; and the sons of Mareshah the father of Hebron.
- This was not Caleb the son of Jephunneh, but Caleb the son of Hezron, and therefore called the brother of Jerahmeel: See the parallel texts:
- 1 Chronicles 2:18 1 Chronicles 2:19 1 Chronicles 2:24
- his first-born
- Genesis 49:3 ; Exodus 4:22 Exodus 4:23 ; Romans 8:29 ; Hebrews 12:23
- the father
- i.e, the founder.
- Or, as the Targum renders, "the prince of the Ziphites;" for it was usual to call both the founder and the prince of a city its father.
- Joshua 15:24 ; 1 Samuel 23:19 ; 26:1
- the father of Hebron
- 1 Chronicles 2:23 1 Chronicles 2:24 1 Chronicles 2:45 1 Chronicles 2:49 1 Chronicles 2:52 ; 8:29 Ezra 2:21-35 ; Nehemiah 7:25-38