|Overview - 1 Samuel 23|
|1||David, enquiring of the Lord by Abiathar, rescues Keilah.|
|7||God shewing him the coming of Saul, and the treachery of the Keilites, he escapes from Keilah.|
|14||In Ziph Jonathan comes and comforts him.|
|19||The Ziphites discover him to Saul.|
|25||At Maon he is rescued from Saul by the invasion of the Philistines.|
|29||He dwells at En-gedi.|
1 Samuel 23:19 (King James Version)
Then came up the Ziphites to Saul to Gibeah, saying, Doth not David hide himself with us in strong holds in the wood, in the hill of Hachilah, which is on the south of Jeshimon?
- the Ziphites
- 1 Samuel 22:7 1 Samuel 22:8 26:1 Psalms 54:1 ; *title
- Psalms 54:3 Psalms 54:4 ; Proverbs 29:12
- Calmet states, that Hachilah was a mountain about ten miles south of Jericho, where Jonathan Maccabus built the castle of Massada, west of the Dead Sea, and not far from En-gedi.
- 1 Samuel 26:1 1 Samuel 26:3
- on the south
- Hebrew on the right hand. Jeshimon. or, the
- wilderness. Eusebius places Jeshimon ten miles south of Jericho, near the Dead Sea; which agrees extremely well with the position of Hachilah, as stated by Calmet.