|Overview - 2 Chronicles 28|
|1||Ahaz reigning very wickedly, is greatly afflicted by the Syrians.|
|6||Judah being captivated by the Israelites, is sent home by the counsel of Oded the prophet.|
|16||Ahaz sending for aid to Assyria, is not helped thereby.|
|22||In his distress he grows more idolatrous.|
|26||He dying, Hezekiah succeeds him.|
2 Chronicles 28:9 (King James Version)
But a prophet of the LORD was there, whose name was Oded: and he went out before the host that came to Samaria, and said unto them, Behold, because the LORD God of your fathers was wroth with Judah, he hath delivered them into your hand, and ye have slain them in a rage that reacheth up unto heaven.
- he went out
- 2 Chronicles 19:1 2 Chronicles 19:2 2 Chronicles 25:15 2 Chronicles 25:16 1 Kings 20:13 1 Kings 20:22 1 Kings 20:42 ; 2 Kings 20:14 2 Kings 20:15
- To this beautiful speech nothing can be added by the best comment: it is simple, humane, pious, and overwhelmingly convincing; and it is no wonder that it produced the effect here described. That there was much humanity, as well as firmness, in the heads of the children of Ephraim, who joined with the prophet of Jehovah on this occasion, their subsequent conduct, as detailed in the fifteenth verse, sufficiently proves. They did not barely dismiss these most unfortunate captives, but they took that very spoil which their victorious army had taken, and with clothed, shod, fed, and anointed these distressed people, set the feeblest of them upon asses, and escorted them safely to Jericho! We can scarcely find a parallel to this in the uersal history of the wars which savage man has carried on against his fellows from the foundation of the world. The compliance also of the whole army, in leaving both the captives and spoil to the disposal of the princes, was really wonderful, and perhaps unparalleled in history. Both the princes and army are worthy to be held up to the admiration and imitation of mankind.
- because the Lord God
- 5 ; Judges 3:8 ; Psalms 69:26 ; Isaiah 10:5-7 ; 47:6 Jeremiah 15:17 Jeremiah 15:18 ; Ezekiel 25:12-17
- Ezekiel 26:2 Ezekiel 26:3 ; Obadiah 1:10-16 ; Zechariah 1:15
- Genesis 4:10 ; 11:4 Ezra 9:6 ; Revelation 18:5