|Overview - Amos 1|
|1||The time when Amos prophesied.|
|3||He shews God's judgment upon Syria,|
|6||upon the Philistines,|
Amos 1:5 (King James Version)
I will break also the bar of Damascus, and cut off the inhabitant from the plain of Aven, and him that holdeth the sceptre from the house of Eden: and the people of Syria shall go into captivity unto Kir, saith the LORD.
- Isaiah 43:14 ; Jeremiah 50:36 ; 51:30 Lamentations 2:9 ; Nahum 3:13
- the plain of Aven
- or, Bikath-aven.
- Probably Heliopolis, now Baalbek, situated between Libanus and Antilibanus, 56 miles N
- W. of Damascus, according to Antoninus, and celebrated for its temple of the sun.
- the house of Eden
- or, Beth-eden.
- Probably the village of Eden, in Mount Lebanon, marks the site of this place. It is delightfully situated by the side of a most rich and cultivated valley, contains about 400 or 500 families, and is, according to modern authorities, about 20 miles S
- E. of Tripoli, and five miles from the cedars.
- the people
- 9:7 2 Kings 16:9