|Overview - Amos 3|
|1||The necessity of God's judgment against Israel.|
|9||The publication of it, with the causes thereof.|
Amos 3:6 (King James Version)
Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
- a trumpet
- Jeremiah 4:5 ; 6:1 Ezekiel 33:3 ; Hosea 5:8 ; Zephaniah 1:16
- and the people
- Jeremiah 5:22 ; 10:7 2 Corinthians 5:11
- be afraid
- or, run together. shall there.
- That is, Shall there be any evil, or calamity, (not moral evil,) inflicted on a wicked city, which does not proceed from me, as the effect of my wrath? These animated interrogatives were intended to convince the people that they had cause for alarm, as their monstrous iniquities called down the vengeance of God to punish them with these calamities.
- Genesis 50:20 ; Isaiah 14:24-27 ; 45:7 Acts 2:23 ; 4:28
- the Lord hath not done it? or, and shall not the Lord do