Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Deuteronomy 1:28 (King James Version)
Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.
- Hebrew melted.
- 20:8 *marg:
- Exodus 15:15 ; Joshua 2:9 Joshua 2:11 Joshua 2:24 ; *marg:
- Joshua 14:8 ; Isaiah 13:7 ; Ezekiel 21:7
- The people
- Deuteronomy 9:1 Deuteronomy 9:2 Numbers 13:28-33
- That is, with very high walls, which could not be easily scaled. Harmer says, high walls are still to be seen in Arabia, and are deemed a sufficient defence against the Arabs, who scarcely ever attempt to plunder except on horseback. The monastery on Mount Sinai, and the convent of St. Anthony in Egypt, are surrounded with a very high wall, without gates; the persons and things being taken up and let down through an opening in the upper part, by means of a pulley and a basket. This kind of walling is a sufficient defence.
- we have seen
- 9:2 Joshua 11:22 ; 15:14 Judges 1:10 Judges 1:20 ; 2 Samuel 21:16-22