|Overview - Genesis 38|
|1||Judah begets Er, Onan, and Shelah.|
|6||Er's marriage with Tamar, and death.|
|8||The trespass of Onan.|
|11||Tamar is reserved for Shelah.|
|12||Judah's wife dies.|
|13||Tamar deceives Judah.|
|27||She bears twins, Pharez and Zarah.|
Genesis 38:1 (King James Version)
And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.
- M. 2265. B.C. 1739.
- it came
- As there cannot be above 23 years from the selling of Joseph, unto Israel's going down into Egypt; and as it is impossible that Judah should take a wife, and by her have three sons successively, and Shelah, the youngest, marriageable when Judah begat Pharez of Tamar, and Pharez be grown up, married, and have two sons, all within so short a period; Mr. Ainsworth conceives that the time here spoken of is soon after Jacob's coming to Shechem, (ch
- 33.) We have accordingly adapted the chronology to correspond with that time.
- Genesis 19:2 Genesis 19:3 Judges 4:18 ; 2 Kings 4:8 ; Proverbs 9:6 ; 13:20
- An inhabitant of Adullam, a city of Canaan, afterwards given to Judah, situated in the southern part of that tribe, west of Hebron.
- Joshua 12:15 ; 15:35 1 Samuel 22:1 ; 2 Samuel 23:13 ; Micah 1:15