|Overview - Isaiah 19|
|1||The confusion of Egypt.|
|11||The foolishness of their princes.|
|18||The calling of Egypt into the church.|
|23||The covenant of Egypt, Assyria, and Israel.|
Isaiah 19:3 (King James Version)
And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.
- the spirit
- This is a prophecy of what took place in Egypt about twenty-two years after the destruction of Sennacherib's army; when, upon the death of Tirhakah, (B
- C. 688,) not being able to settle about the succession, they continued for two years in a state of anarchy, confusion, and civil wars; which was followed by the tyranny of twelve princes, who, dividing the country among them, governed it for fifteen years; and at last, by the sole dominion of Psammiticus, which he held for fifty-four years.
- Isaiah 19:1 Isaiah 19:11-13 ; 57:16 1 Samuel 25:37 ; Psalms 76:12 ; Jeremiah 46:15 ; Ezekiel 21:7 ; 22:14
- Hebrew be emptied. and I.
- 14:27 2 Samuel 15:31 ; 2 Samuel 17:14 2 Samuel 17:23 2 Chronicles 25:16-20 ; Job 5:12 Job 5:13 ; Proverbs 21:30
- 1 Corinthians 3:19 1 Corinthians 3:20
- Hebrew swallow up.
- Psalms 107:27 ; *marg:
- and they
- 8:19 15:2 44:25 47:12 1 Chronicles 10:13 ; Daniel 2:2 ; Daniel 4:6 Daniel 4:7 5:7