Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - Jeremiah 42|
| 1 ||Johanan desires Jeremiah to enquire of God, promising obedience to his will. |
| 7 ||Jeremiah assures him of safety in Judea; |
|13 ||and destruction in Egypt. |
|19 ||He reproves their hypocrisy, in enquiring of the Lord that which they mean not to follow. |
Jeremiah 42:19 (King James Version)
The LORD hath said concerning you, O ye remnant of Judah; Go ye not into Egypt: know certainly that I have admonished you this day.
- God knew, that such was their miserable propensity to idolatry, that they would adopt the idolatrous worship of Egypt. Add to which, their going thither for protection was in effect refusing to submit to the king of Babylon, to whom God had decreed the rule of Judah and the neighbouring kingdoms.
- Deuteronomy 17:16 ; Isaiah 30:1-7 ; 31:1-3 Ezekiel 17:15
- 38:21 Ezekiel 3:21 ; Acts 20:26 Acts 20:27
- admonished you
- Hebrew testified against you.
- Deuteronomy 31:21 ; 2 Chronicles 24:19 ; Nehemiah 9:26 Nehemiah 9:29 Nehemiah 9:30 ; Acts 2:40 ; Ephesians 4:17 ; 1 Thessalonians 4:6