|Overview - Jeremiah 8|
|1||The calamity of the Jews, both dead and alive.|
|4||He upbraids their foolish and shameless impenitency.|
|13||He shews their grievous judgment;|
|18||and bewails their desperate estate.|
Jeremiah 8:16 (King James Version)
The snorting of his horses was heard from Dan: the whole land trembled at the sound of the neighing of his strong ones; for they are come, and have devoured the land, and all that is in it; the city, and those that dwell therein.
- The snorting
- Grotius observes, after Jerome, that Nebuchadnezzar, having subdued Phoenicia, passed through Dan, in his way to Jerusalem.
- was heard
- Jeremiah 4:15 Jeremiah 4:16 Judges 18:29 ; 20:1
- the whole
- 4:24 Habakkuk 3:10
- at the
- 6:23 47:3 Judges 5:22 ; Nahum 1:4 Nahum 1:5 ; 3:2
- of his strong ones
- Of his war-horses.
- This is a fine image; so terrible was the united neighings of the cavalry of the Babylonians, that the reverberation of the air caused the ground to tremble.
- all that is in it
- Hebrew the fulness thereof.
- Psalms 24:1 ; 1 Corinthians 10:26 1 Corinthians 10:28