|Overview - Joshua 3|
|1||Joshua comes to Jordan.|
|2||The officers instruct the people for their passage.|
|7||The Lord encourages Joshua.|
|9||Joshua encourages the people.|
|14||The water of Jordan are divided.|
Joshua 3:1 (King James Version)
And Joshua rose early in the morning; and they removed from Shittim, and came to Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over.
- rose early
- Archbishop Usher supposes, that this was upon Wednesday, the 28th of April, A
- M. 2553, the fortieth year of the Exodus
- from Egypt. From Shittim, where the israelites had been encamped for about two months ( Deuteronomy 1:3 ),to the Jordan, was, according to Josephus, about sixty stadia; that is, between seven and eight English miles. Genesis 22:3 ; Psalms 119:60 ; Jeremiah 7:13 ; 25:3 26:5 Mark 1:35
- 2:1 Numbers 25:1 ; Micah 6:5
- Jordan, called by the Arabs El Sharia, takes its rise in Anti-Libanus, about twelve miles north of Csarea Philippi, now Banias; and, having run about twelve miles southward, it receives a considerable stream, which is now called the Moiet Hasbeia. About 15 miles farther, it forms the waters of Merom or Semechon, now Houle; and, after running about 28 miles more, it passes through the lake of Gennesareth, and thence runs southward till it loses itself in the Dead Sea; its whole course being about 160 miles.