|Overview - Joshua 7|
|1||The Israelites are smitten at Ai.|
|10||God instructs him what to do.|
|16||Achan is taken by the lot.|
|24||He and all he had are destroyed in the valley of Achor.|
Joshua 7:6 (King James Version)
And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads.
- Genesis 37:29 Genesis 37:34 ; Numbers 14:6 ; 2 Samuel 13:31 ; Ezra 9:3-5 ; Esther 4:1 ; Job 1:20
- Acts 14:14
- Numbers 16:22 Numbers 16:45 ; 2 Samuel 12:16
- until the eventide
- Judges 20:23 Judges 20:26 ; 21:2 2 Samuel 1:12
- put dust
- Rending the clothes, beating the breast, tearing the hair, throwing dust upon the head, and falling prostrate, were usual signs of deep affliction and distress among the ancient Israelites. In illustration of this custom, see 1 ; Sa 4:12 when the messenger brought tidings to Eli of the discomfiture of the armies of Israel by the Philistines; again, in the case of Tamar, 2 ; Sa 13:19 and in Nehemiah 9:1 ,when a whole nation, "assembled with fasting, and with sackcloth, and earth upon
- them." See also the case of Mordecai, Esther 4:1 ,and Job 2:12 ,where his friends abased themselves to comfort him; refer also to Ezekiel 27:30 ; Jonah 3:6 . Micah 1:10 . In each of these instances it is worthy of remark, that putting dust on the head generally follows rending of the clothes, and was the usual mode of evincing poignant sorrow.