Psalms 64:1-10 . A prayer for deliverance from cunning and malicious enemies, with a confident view of their overthrow, which will honor God and give joy to the righteous.
1. preserve . . . fear--as well as the danger producing it.
2. insurrection--literally, "uproar," noisy assaults, as well as their secret counsels.
3, 4. Similar figures for slander ( Psalms 57:4 , 59:7 ).
bend--literally, "tread," or, "prepared." The allusion is to the mode of bending a bow by treading on it; here, and in Psalms 58:7 , transferred to arrows.
5. A sentiment here more fully presented, by depicting their deliberate malice.
6. This is further evinced by their diligent efforts and deeply laid schemes.
7. The contrast is heightened by representing God as using weapons like theirs.
9, 10. Men, generally, will acknowledge God's work, and the righteous, rejoicing in it, shall be encouraged to trust Him ( Psalms 58:10 ).