|Overview - Isaiah 18|
|1||God, in care of his people, will destroy the Ethiopians.|
|7||An accession thereby shall be made to the church.|
Isaiah 18:1 (King James Version)
Woe to the land shadowing with wings, which is beyond the rivers of Ethiopia:
- M. cir. 3290. B.C. cir. 714. Woe.
- Bp. Lowth renders, after Bochart, "Ho! to the land of the winged cymbal;" which he thinks is a periphrasis for the Egyptian sistrum; and consequently, that Egypt, "which borders on the rivers of Cush," is the country to which the prophecy is addressed. If we translate "shadowing with wings," it may allude to the multitude of its vessels, whose sails may be represented under the notion of wings.
- the land
- 20:3-6 Isaiah 30:2 Isaiah 30:3 31:1
- Ruth 2:12 ; Psalms 17:8 ; 36:7 57:1 61:4 63:7 91:4 Matthew 23:37
- 2 Kings 19:9 ; Ezekiel 30:4 Ezekiel 30:5 ; Zephaniah 2:12 ; 3:10